The staff at Elwood Haynes School is devoted to providing all students an environment conducive to learning. Potential academic achievement and social and emotional growth are fostered under the direction of a dedicated and caring staff with the support of home and community.
Elwood Haynes School was constructed in 1954. It opened as part of an ambitious building program to meet the needs of a rapidly growing population in the city. The original one story building was about 46,300 square feet. Population grew quickly as industry in Kokomo produced the goods for a booming economy. In 1957, a classroom addition of 13,000 square feet was added. The facilities were renovated in 1977, 1981, 1982, and 1996.
The school was named after Elwood Haynes who had a background in chemistry and metallurgy. He experimented with early engines and automotive development. He is credited with building one of the first automobiles. Haynes also developed stainless steel and the alloy known as Stellite.
Elwood Haynes Elementary School (K-5), with an enrollment of 517 students, is the largest of 9 elementary schools in the Kokomo-Center Township Consolidated School Corporation.